Saturday, February 21, 2009

farmer's markets.




it's a sunny Saturday and I am longing for window shopping without windows, tamales, crafts i really don't need to buy, vegetables i probably should and delicious treats. Last year my brother and sister in law (i really HATE having to add "in law" because i love my sister in laws and wish i didn't have to address them so formally. But, at at the same time, i don't want it to sound like my brother married my sister, that would be weird and we probably wouldn't be going anywhere together if that was the case) took Nic and I {and daphne in the womb} to the farmer's market in provo. We fell in love. So, I've been scheming up a way to bring a farmer's market to our little town of Rexburg, Idaho. I would LOVE to talk the city into letting us do it in Porter Park- under the huge trees. It is centrally located, all the students can just walk there and it is nice and cool, even on a hot summer day because of all the trees. Some nights {early mornings} after I put Daphne back to sleep I just can't stop thinking about the market! I really want to make it a reality this summer- I think it would be perfect for this community- to link BYU-I with the city. Plus, it seems like all of our friends are the starving artist types and i think this would be a really fun way to sell our stuff. This is a list of some things I would like to see at the Porter Park Market- if you would like to participate, make a comment and tell us what you would like to do. If your craft/talent/desire to sell isn't on the list- who cares! Just comment- I want to see if people would really be interested in doing this before we go to the city.

+prepared food {food that people could buy and eat on the spot}
some ideas for that: tamales! (i found a picture of the actual tamale couple at the provo market- i was pretty excited!)
fresh baked goods
{cookies, bars, ECT}
cupcakes (cocoa bean, i would LOVE for you to have a booth!)

homemade popsicles/ icecream

kettle corn
fresh, cleaned fruit
homemade candy
fresh baked bread
shaved ice
strawberry lemonade (serious money maker when its hot out!)


+fresh produce
i don't know much about what is in season when but some ideas-
strawberries, raspberries ect any fruit that can grow here :)
cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes

herbs
potted flowers/herb gardens
potatoes (we are idaho, of course)

+art
anything you create-
fine art photography
ceramics

print making
paintings

drawings

clothing
graphic design
anything... (more than anything I want this to be a place for artists- i hope we have tons)


+live music
something acoustic for logistics and general likability.

+crafts
baby stuff {bows, slings, blankets ect}
handmade jewelry

purses/pillows/ sewn goods
quilts/blankets
home decor stuff
fabric


And if you have other ideas- please please let me know. I am dead serious about this- I want to get it going REALLY bad and it will be so much more fun if it is our friends all together hanging out selling stuff :)
If you are from around here and you know of people who wouldn't be reading our blog but would be interested in participating, spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment